8 June, 2011 is dubbed “World IPv6 Day” as on that day, Facebook (www.facebook.com), Google(www.google.com; www.youtube.com) and Yahoo(www.yahoo.com), websites with more than one billion combined visits each day, are joining major content delivery networks Akamai and Limelight Networks, and the Internet Society, for the firstglobal-scale trial of the new Internet Protocol, IPv6. Participants will offer their content over IPv6 for a 24-hour “test flight”.
One of the goals of the World IPv6 Day is to motivate organizations across the industry – Internet service providers, hardware makers, operating system vendors and web companies – to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition as IPv4 addresses run out.
World IPv6 Day is destined to expose potential issues under controlled conditions and address them as soon as possible. The vast majority of users should be able to access services as usual, but in rare cases, misconfigured or misbehaving network equipment, particularly in home networks, may impair access to participating websites during the trial. Current estimates are that 0.05% of users may experience such problems, but participating organizations will be working together with operating system manufacturers, home router vendors and ISPs to minimize the number of users affected. Participants will also be working together to provide tools to detect problems and offer suggested fixes in advance of the trial.
About World IPv6
List of Participants of World IPv6 Day: http://isoc.org/wp/worldipv6day/participants/
Global Press Release: http://isoc.org/wp/newsletter/?p=2902
Hong Kong Pre-event Press Release:
Chinese version: Media Release_Chi_Pre-event_W6D_final.pdf
English version: Media Release_Eng_Pre-event_W6D_final.pdf
Hong Kong Event Press Release:
What will we do in Hong Kong to echo “World IPv6 Day” on 8 Jun 2011: World IPv6 Day x IPv6World.Asia Campaign
Internet Society Hong Kong (ISOC HK)
Hong Kong Cyberport Management (Cyberport)
Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC)
DotAsia Organisation (DotAsia)
Hong Kong Internet Exchange (HKIX)
Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation (HKIRC)
Hong Kong Internet Service Providers Association (HKISPA)
IPv6 Forum Hong Kong
Internet Society Hong Kong, following the initiative of IPv6World.Asia as well as echoing the headquarter’s support on World IPv6 Day, initiates World IPv6 Day X IPv6World.Asia campaign.
1. Call for Participation in IPv6 “test flight” on 8 June
Content providers, media organizations, telecommunication companies and all Internet industry players in Hong Kong as well as the HKSAR government departments are invited to join the IPv6 24-hour Test Flight on 8 June 2011. Let’s join hand to ensure a successful transition. You may want to participate in the following ways:
- Enable the IPv6 capability of your corporate main website
- Internet service providers: make IPv6 connectivity available to their users
- Web companies: bring your company’s website online using IPv6, by making it accessible using dual stack technology and provide a AAAA record for the site.
- Operating system makers: implement specific software updates
- Backbone providers: establish IPv6 peering with each other
- Hardware and home gateway manufacturers: update firmware
- All players in the Internet: spread the word of World IPv6 Day!
- The greater the scope of the trial, the more effective it will be for all participants.
Join us on the 24-hour ‘test flight’ and prepare your services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition. Please also encourage and invite your partners and your customers to join the test flight.
2. IPv6 Hong Kong Directory – IPv6 enabled websites
If you are already IPv6 ready, why not let the world know your effort on IPv6 deployment? Already have IPv6 capability? Tell us now.
3. Online Survey on IPv6 Awareness
Besides the industry’s readiness on IPv6, World IPv6 Day X IPv6World.Asia campaign would also like to conduct an online survey, to get a sense on the public’s awareness on IPv6. Survey result will be announced on the World IPv6 Day. Please fill in now! http://www.isoc.hk/ipv6survey/
4. IPv6 Seminar on 8 Jun 2011, in which real IPv6 deployment cases and strategic importance of deploying IPv6 will be shared.